50 signatures reached
To: Newcastle Council
Declare Climate Emergency!
Encourage sustainable living ways within Newcastle, in aims for it to begin a chain reaction throughout NSW and Australia.
Whether that be;
1. Declaring a state of climate crisis and educating people on and exploiting the problem we are facing
2. Encouraging the community to buy local resources and support local businesses through holding markets etc.
3. Encouraging the use of public transport to cut down our carbon footprint. Comsmitting to a target of net zero carbon emissions for the community by 2040.
4. Slowly phasing out the use of single use plastics.
5. Begin the use of renewable energy sources and phase out the use of fossil fuels. Committing to a target of 100% Renewable Energy for Council Operations by 2025.
6. Beginning the protection of more land to reserve the natural resources and habitat of native animals and show concern of the declining biodiversity.
7. encourage local schools to get involved to promote education of these sustainable living ways from a young age.
Every act counts toward the bigger goal of sustainable living.
Why is this important?
We are facing a climate catastrophe. Leading scientists have warned that we have less than 12 years to take emergency action on climate change, or we face the gravest threats to our local and global environment. The climate emergency is already all around us and is impacting our lives in so many ways - devastating droughts, floods, bushfires all over the country, deadly air pollution, and a reef on life support.
This is an emergency and we must act now.
Globally, several hundred cities/councils have already declared climate emergencies, and they are making an important and vital contribution to addressing the climate crisis. Bold climate action can deliver new green jobs and economic benefits, preserve wildlife and habitats, and improve the lives of people in our community.
By declaring a climate emergency, the council will show our community, the State and the Federal Government that urgent action is needed to restore a safe and healthy planet for ourselves and generations to come.